(a) The purpose of this clause is to provide employees with the opportunity for sustained study and upgrading to higher standard certificates or other pertinent qualifications.
(b) Education leave with basic pay to take formal training and study, for the purpose of securing a certificate or diploma or other qualification, may be approved, to a maximum of five months, by the Employer provided that:
1. Selection is on the basis of an acceptable performance record.
2. The employee has completed a service record of one continuous year.
3. It is in the interest of the Employer that the employee secure the certificate.
4. On the basis of 1. to 3. above, service seniority shall prevail.
5. So far as possible, leave with basic pay shall be granted during the period of reduced service, i.e., winter period.
6. Upon successful completion of the course and required examination, the Employer shall pay tuition fees, cost of required textbooks and first examination fee. The Employer shall pay traveling expenses for one return trip from the employee's home to the school and pay $100 per week toward the out-of-pocket subsistence expenses of the employee, provided that the employee's home is more than 100 kilometers or three hours' traveling time from the nearest school offering the course being taken. Such employees who must also travel by ferry shall be provided with assured loading
7. The employee provides proof of attending the course in a form specified by the Employer.
8. Prior to leave of absence with pay, the employee undertakes a certification to remain in the service for a period equal to three times the leave period and, should s/he resign before the period expires, s/he shall refund the proportion of all costs paid during his/her leave, including salary, in direct relation to the unexpired period and the period required.
9. If, after being granted appropriate leave with basic pay, the employee fails to obtain the appropriate certificate or upgrading, further leave shall be without pay and all further costs specified in 6. above shall be borne by the employee.
10. Commensurate with the demands of the Employer, leave of absence with basic pay shall be granted to an appropriate number of employees.
11. The Employer reserves the right to limit the period of leave with basic pay or without pay as well as to establish the minimum academic standard employees should attain before leave with basic pay is granted.
12. The Employer may require employees requesting education leave to write a qualifying examination set by an independent authority to determine the employee's capability to take the course requested.
(c) Leave with basic pay to write examinations for a certificate or other qualification may be approved to a maximum of five working days.
(d) Employees granted education leave with basic pay, accumulate vacation and sick leave credits while attending the course.
(e) The Union recognizes that the Employer shall not wish to grant leave with basic pay for attending a course in cases where there are already sufficient qualified personnel. In this event the Employer shall not unreasonably withhold leave without pay at the request of an employee wishing to take an approved course.
1. Where leave without pay is granted, the employee shall retain seniority rights.
2. Upon return, the employee shall be placed in his/her former position or in a position of equal rank and salary at the same point of assembly.
3. If the employee maintains coverage for medical, extended health, dental, and group life, the Employer agrees to pay the Employer's share of those premiums. If the employee fails to return to work at the prearranged date, the Employer shall recover money paid under this clause.
4. Prior to taking unpaid leave under this clause, the employee shall undertake to remain in service after return for a period equivalent to the leave granted, or shall refund any financial assistance granted under this clause on a prorated basis.
(f) In the event that an individual receives outside support, such as a scholarship, fellowship, or bursary, the total of outside support plus salary support shall not exceed the individual's basic salary for the period of study leave. In the event of such combined support exceeding the basic salary, the excess amount shall be deducted from the employee’s salary. It is the responsibility of the employee to report all additional sources of support to the Employer.
Leave of absence with basic pay shall be granted to allow employees time to write examinations approved by the Employer. A minimum of 12 hours shall be allowed between the end of a shift and the commencement of an examination.
(a) An employee shall be granted leave with basic pay to take courses at the direction of the Employer. The Employer shall bear the full cost of the course including tuition fees, entrance or registration fees, laboratory fees and course required books, necessary traveling time, traveling and subsistence expenses and other legitimate expenses where applicable. Fees are to be paid by the Employer when due.
(b) An employee may be granted leave with basic pay to take courses at the request of the Employer. The Employer shall bear the full cost of the course, including tuition fees, entrance or registration fees, laboratory fees and course required books, necessary traveling and subsistence expenses and other legitimate expenses where applicable. Fees are to be paid by the Employer when due.
(c) A regular employee may be granted leave without pay, or leave with partial pay to take courses in which the employee wishes to enroll.
(a) When the Employer requires the employee to be in possession of M.E.D. certificates, the employee shall be granted leave with regular pay. The Employer shall bear the full cost of obtaining and renewing the certificate including tuition fees, entrance or registration fees, laboratory fees and course required books, necessary traveling time, traveling and
subsistence expenses and other legitimate expenses where applicable. Fees are to be paid by the Employer when due. Where the same courses are provided by the Employer, employees shall avail themselves of such courses in preference to other facilities.
(b) When the Employer or a regulatory authority requires the employee to be in possession of a Continued Proficiency Certificate, the employee shall be granted leave with regular pay. The Employer shall bear the full cost of obtaining and renewing the certificate including tuition fees, entrance or registration fees, laboratory fees, course required books,
examination fees and subsistence expenses. Fees are to be paid by the Employer when due. Where the same courses are provided by the Employer, employees shall avail themselves of such courses in preference to other facilities.
The purpose of this clause is to provide employees with the opportunity to obtain the necessary prerequisites to advance within their classification, and to ensure that the Employer has qualified employees to fill vacancies as they arise.
1. Term Certain Staffing Pool positions will be made available as career development opportunities so that senior qualified employees at that point of assembly can accrue the watchkeeping time necessary to sit for their next higher certificate examination.
2. Career development opportunity positions will be in the following classifications within the Staffing Pool: Third Engineer, First Engineer and Second Officer.
3. Employees shall be offered career development opportunities as a temporary appointment at their point of assembly. Once having earned the necessary watchkeeping time, they will revert to their former position in order that the career
development opportunity may be offered to another designated employee.
4. Once selected and having obtained the necessary watchkeeping time, the employee will be considered for an opportunity to obtain the next higher certificate under the Education Leave Program.