Couples choose to hire a doula for any number of
reasons, most of which are based on the desire to have the support
of an additional, experienced person.
have been done around the world and all of them have noted the
value of having a doula present during pregnancy, labour and
benefits have been shown to positively affect the health of mother
and baby and the emotional well being and relationship between
both parents and their child.
is taken with permission from http://www.dona.org
Birth Doula: A woman trained and experienced in childbirth who
provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to
a woman during labour, birth and the immediate postpartum period.
Eleven studies showed the following effects of doula support:
Effects on Birth Outcomes:
• There are fewer complications.
• Cesarean rates are reduced.
• There is less need for oxytocin to speed up labour.
• Need for forceps is reduced.
• Women request less pain medication and epidurals.
Effects on the Mother:
• Greater satisfaction with their birth experience.
• More positive assessments of their babies.
• Less postpartum depression.
Effects on the Baby:
• Babies have shorter hospital stays with fewer admissions to special care
• Babies breastfeed more easily.
• Mothers are more affectionate to their babies postpartum.
Effects on health care system:
• The cost of obstetrical care is dramatically reduced.
• Women are pleased with the personalized care doulas offer.
The Benefit of continuous support in labour is recognized by:
• The World Health Organization
• The Medical Leadership Council (an organization of over 1200 U.S. hospitals)
• The Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada
Taken with permission from www.dona.org
Special Delivery Birth Services