Please click here to buy this book
Although the Gazetteer still lists the "settlement" of Brexton, which was situated between the southeast end of Gun Lake and Gold Bridge, and three and a half miles north of Bralorne, this once busy town has vanished.
Like most of the communities which developed in this region, Brexton got its start, and its name, from gold mining. In June 1931 the Bridge River Exploration Company was incorporated. Its holdings consisted of 38 claims and fractions on the northeast side of the Hurley River, a tributary of the main branch of the Bridge River.
"This is a showing with considerable possibilities," noted a Department of Mines inspector; "there is every indication of a very large tonnage of ore, and with sufficient values for milling it would develop into a major operation."
Two years later the company reorganized as B. R. X.Gold Mines Limited, E.R. Shepherd managing director. In 1934 camp facilities at the California minesite were enlarged but, by the following year, were insufficient for the 26-man work force, most of whom found private accommodation in the tiny settlement of Fish Lake. In honor of the B.R.X. mines, it was christened Brexton and first appeared as such on the maps in 1938. The usual small business establishments catered to the miners and, according to one account, Brexton was a lively town at its peak.
For almost 20 years the B.R.X. Company explored its claims by diamond-drill and tunnel. In 1937 it had converted to electricity; the following year it had built a 100-ton mill.
Initial interest in these and adjoining properties dated back to 1897; operations were suspended in 1946. For all of the investment and unlimited patience, B.R.X. never entered production. As late as 1951 Brexton had a population of 21; in later years it dwindled away to the few remains that are yet to be seen beside the winding, climbing gravel road from Gold Bridge.
In 1959 a new company tried its hand at exploring the historic claims, only to cease operations two years after.
Last modified: April 19, 2000