Hollyburn Amateur Radio Club
West Vancouver, B.C., Canada
The Hollyburn Amateur Radio Club was originally founded on April 1, 1888, as the Hollyburn Amateur Telegraphy Club. With the invention of radio, it was only natural that the club should change its name to the Hollyburn Amateur Radio Club on April 1, 1913, on the 25th anniversary of the club's founding. Needless to say, no longer having to connect their houses together with wires appealed greatly to the members! Our first club station had the call sign "V".
During World War 1, the HARC membership was heavily involved. Being made of forward thinking individuals, HARC was also involved in flying lessons before the war. In early 1915, the HARC group was mustered in as 73 Territorial Squadron, the Hollyburn Aerial Reconnaissance Corps, known as the Harcs. Members served in France with distinction, two of whom were awarded the coveted Pour le Merite.
While in Britain during WW1, the HARCS met many likeminded people with a common interest in radio, including Sir Hiram Maxim. Sir Hiram was an expatriate American living in Britain, and who had been knighted for the invention of the Maxim Gun, which was the first truly successful machine gun. We understand that Sir Hiram's son later returned to his native land and formed a radio club there.
During the Second World War, the members again served with distinction, this time with the 102nd Hollyburn Airborn Division, the "Screaming Beagles".
In the years that followed, both HARC and radio grew into what we have today. Members of HARC were involved in all levels of the growth of electronics and radio, including the practical uses of bioelectricity. You may remember, some years back, on Field Day a Vancouver group used electric eels to power a radio. HARC membership was involved in that!
On a recent Field Day, the HARC club used an underground multiple element phased array for an antenna. Underground antennas show great promise, and there are no tower ordinance problems! Here we have a picture of the installation of the antenna at the Field Day site. The club station successfully contacted all five stations in the immediate vicinity of our prominent site high above Hollyburn Mountain. Our unusually high score was achieved due to the underground antenna bonus points and the points for using natural rain powered generator facilities. Unfortunately, we lost our wildlife bonus points when our family of bear mascots were frightened off by other groups up on the mountain that evening.
Today, members are involved in such projects as Packet Radio and APRS. We have successfully mastered the various applications of the Global Positioning System to determine the latitude and longitude of the club base station. The station is located in the Amblesnide and Tiddlycove Rose and Chrysanthemum Society's facility near the old West Vancouver Bus Depot. Such historical surroundings have inspired the membership to continue in their never-ending quest for technical excellence into the Twenty First Century.
HARC is one of the most unique amateur radio clubs in the area. We strive to pursue the lighter side of Amateur Radio, and our focus is on the forcible extension of pedal extremities.
Last modified: April 1, 2001