How do I completely uninstall Norton AntiVirus?
The solution to many problems with Norton AntiVirus is to completely uninstall Norton AntiVirus, then re-install. You can use these instructions to completely uninstall Norton AntiVirus.
In order to completely uninstall Norton AntiVirus and all related components you need to follow these instructions.
Note: This procedure will remove all Symantec products, not just Norton AntiVirus.
- Click on Start | Settings | Control Panel
- In the control panel double-click on Add / Remove Programs
- Look through the list of installed programs for any item that says either "Norton" or "Symantec" or "LiveUpdate". (for example "Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition" or "Norton AntiVirus 2000")
- For each "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate" item, select the item and click Add / Remove. Follow the instructions, and click Yes or Yes to all when prompted.
When you are done there should be no items in the list that say "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate".
- Click OK to close the Add / Remove Programs window.
- Reboot your computer if it hasn't already automatically rebooted.
- Delete the c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus (or c:\Program Files\Norton) folder.
- Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec folder.
- Delete the c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared folder.
If uninstalling Norton AntiVirus using Add / Remove Programs does not work, you can use the directions on this web site
to uninstall Norton AntiVirus manually (maintained by Symantec):
Mike's VIRUS INFO PAGES
VIRUS INFO main
Mike's VIRUS INFO Page 2
Mike's VIRUS INFO HACKFIX TIPS Page 3
HACKFIX PROGRAM UPDATES Page 4
To ME_XP Restore
VirusInfo Virus Information Feeds
Mike It's a good day if I learned something new