Hopwood Hall stands on a grassy hillock in a small wooded valley through which a brook runs south to join the Irk at Middleton north of Manchester. The Hall is still partly mediaeval in plan. The Hall is no longer in the possession of the Hopwood family, but operates as Hopwood Hall College (Middleton Campus) by the Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council.
Hopwood Hall remains as a splendid example of Lancashire and Cheshire regional domestic architecture, retaining within its structure evidence of building from the fourteenth to the present century. Although the fabric has been much altered, even rebuilt, it retains the shape of the old mediaeval Hall.
This page offers only a few photos and graphics as a courtesy to the viewer. Viewers interested in greater detail will find a good description and explanation of the history and evolution of the structure and décor of the Hall contained in the book "History of Hopwood Hall - including the life of Cardinal Langley, Lord Chancellor (1360-1437)" by Stuart Macdonald, Waldegrave (Publishers) Ltd., London, 1963. Unfortunately, the book is out of print. There may be copies available at the regional libraries in England.