- The citizens of St. Albert have spoken. The majority of residents believe the current by-law in place should remain, as it exists. I do not support bringing this issue back for further review.
The Western By-Pass
Relationships with Other Governments
- I support the current plan for the Western Regional Road. Letís get it done, and work with the Province for funding.
- We must restore damaged relationships with our neighbors and continue to follow the direction of the existing Intermunicipal Development Plan. We must secure adequate land for our 20-year plan and protect St. Albert tax dollars in the process.
- We must find ways to better mobilize the entire community to become more diligent than we already are in our traffic safety, crime reduction, and crime prevention initiatives to ensure a safer St. Albert. Drugs, vandalism, and theft-related activities in particular must be aggressively addressed.
Multipurpose Leisure Centre
- The direction for the MLC is in the hands of the people in the form of a plebiscite. I personally support the need for a Leisure Centre, reinforcing my commitment to sports and recreation for all citizens.
City Hall and Library
- We need to develop a 20-year plan that includes the uses and needs for City Hall, the Library and the vacant RCMP building. Council must understand City employee needs.
Youth and Disabled Citizens' Needs
- We can never take this issue off the community agenda. Programs and initiatives are ever-changing and we must accommodate change and needs.
- We must complete the comprehensive review currently underway of the needs for repair and maintenance of the corporate infrastructure. Key recommendations must be reviewed, prioritized and acted upon in affordable phases.
- We must assess whether the needs are being met for a growing St. Albert and the trends in cities for increasing reliance on public systems. We will improve in affordable phases.
Property Taxes/Tax Base
- I believe we must work with all stakeholders to establish a plan for affordable housing, particularly affecting first-home buyers and seniors.
- The trend of tax increases cannot be sustained and a plan must be developed. I advocate a philosophy of maintaining tax increases below the Stats Canada Living Index.
- A plan for land annexation must be acted upon by working closely with our neighbors.
- To meet demands for commercial development, zoning must be addressed.
Our Unique Community - Environment/Green Spaces/Heritage
- I believe we must support processes to designate the Big Lake area as a Provincial Park.
- Additionally, we must sustain and preserve the quality of the Sturgeon River ecosystem. It is essential that we maintain the unique aspects of our community by supporting initiatives that improve our Arts, Heritage, Parks and Green assets.