George Bliss6 George Bliss5 Mary4 William3 William2 William1 Throop

George Bliss Throop b. 12 Apr 1793 in Johnstown, NY d. 23 Feb 1854 in Detroit, MI m1. Abigail Hawley Bostwick (b. 26 Jun 1792 in Albany, NYd. 24 Feb 1825) on 23 Aug 1815 in Auburn, NY m2. Frances Hunt (b. 11 Feb 1806 in Jersey City, NJ d. 7 Jul 1872 in Detroit, MI, dau. of Montgomery Hunt and Eliza Stringham) on 10 Apr 1826.

George and Frances' Children:

1. Montgomery Hunt Throop b. 26 Jan 1827 in Auburn, NY d. 11 Sep 1892 in Albany, NY m. Charlotte Williams Gridley (b. 17 Jun 1829 in Utica, NY d. 17 Jun 1899 in Albany, NY, dau. of Philo Gridley and Susan Gridley) on 22 Jun 1854 in Utica, NY. Montgomery and Charlotte's Children:

2. Eliza Stringham Throop b. 8 Nov 1828 in Auburn, NY d. 12 Apr 1905 in Detroit, MI buried at Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, MI m. Alexander Macomb Campau (b. 13 Sep 1823 d. 1 Apr 1908 in Detroit, MI, buried at Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, MI) on 15 Apr 1846 in Detroit, MI.

3. Enos Thompson Throop b. 24 Dec 1830 in Hamilton, NY d. 16 Nov 1900 in NY m1. Cornelia Gridley (b. 26 Feb 1832 d. 9 Feb 1894, dau. of Philo Gridley and Susan Williams) on 10 Oct 1855. Enos and Cornelia's Children:

4. George Bliss III Throop b. 1833 m. Margaret Bentley. He was a civil war veteran. Child:
1. Frances Hunt Throop

5. Nathaniel Garrow Throop b. 18 Apr 1835 d. 12 Jan 1863 of battle wounds. Major N. G. Throop, Commander of the 57th New York Infantry is mentioned in a report of 20 Dec 1862. in a report dated 25 Dec 1862 it states that he was severely wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Gospel Messenger, Utica, NY, Thursday Morning, Jan. 22, 1863   

     Of all the soldiers' funerals we have lately attended, there was one on Friday last that affected us more nearly, and stirred up deeper memories of personal friendship and confidential intercourse than any which has occurred this many a long year. We feel justified on this account in noticing this event in our editorial columns. We can hear witness that Major N. Garrow Throop was of the stuff of which the true soldier is made: manly and brave, generous to a fault, strong in friendship, the very soul of honor, incapable of anything small or mean. His ambition was to be found at the post of duty, and to win his promotion only by a faithful discharge of it, and it was only to this sense of honor and duty that he fell a sacrifice on the altar of his country, on the bloody field of Fredericksburg, Dec. 13th, 1862.
     Major Throop was born at Auburn, April 18th, 1835, and christened by the Rev. Mr. Lucas, of St. Peter's Church, in that city. His father was the Hon. George B. Throop, well known for the public stations he held, and the brother of Governor Throop; his mother, still living, and called to feel the full force of this bereavement alone, is a sister of the Hon. Ward Hunt, of this city. Young Garrow received his education in Detroit, chiefly for commercial life, and in 1855 came to this city, where he was connected with the Oneida Bank, until the present war broke out.—Here a new era seemed to dawn upon him,—a fit occasion for the exercise and development of the nobler qualities of his nature. For, independently of the questions that have occasioned wars from time to time in the history of civilized nations, there is something in the school of the soldier which either brings out the highest traits of manliness, or else infinitely degrades the man, according to the nature of the material it has to work upon. For the sake of the discipline of courage, fortitude, and subordination to authority, the Roman Commonwealth made it a necessary part of every young man's education, and hence that peculiar sense of order and honor that distinguished the Roman nation, and which made even St. Paul not ashamed to call himself a "Roman citizen."
     In August, 1861, Mr. Throop entered upon the work of raising a company for the 57th Regiment N. Y. V., in which he received material assistance from his brother, Montgomery H. Throop, Esq., of this city. This Company, of which he was made Captain, was composed of an intelligent and able body of men, sons of respectable families thoroughout the County, and many of them school teachers and students in Seminaries, and was said to be one of the best Companies raised in the County. In November, 1861, Captain Throop was ordered with his Company to Camp California, near Alexandria, where he remained till after the evacuation of Manasas, when he advanced with a portion of the Army beyond Manassas, and was engaged in a skirmish with the enemy, which was the first time he was under fire. From thence he went to the Peninsula in McClellan's Army, and went through that whole campaign, attached to French's Brigade, of Richardson's Division in Sumner's Army Corps. He was in close action at the battles of Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, Gaines' Mills, Savage's Station, Peach Orchard, White Oak Swamp, and Malvern Hills. On the retirement of McClellan from the Peninsula, his division was the rearguard of the Army, until embarking at Yorktown, they came to Alexandria, and thence marched to the relief of General Pope, whose retreat they arrived only in time to cover. He was next at the battles of South Mountain and Antietam, at the latter of which he received a severe wound in the arm, at such close quarters that some of the powder even went into the wound.
     An artery being severed, he might have bled to death but for a circumstance which seemed almost Providential. At Savage's Station, an explosion of one of the enemy's shells took place among a pile of hospital stores, and among the things thrown about, a field tourniquet happened to fall at his feet, which he picked up and put in his pocket. On the field of Antietam, he fell near Gen. Caldwell and on the latter asking if he could do any thing for him, the Captain answered that if he would turn him over, he would find this tourniquet in his pocket, which the general immediately took and put on in the proper place and had him carried from the field.
     Capt. Throop was at home but a short time, during which it was our privilege to visit him. About the 1st of December last, and before his friends and physicians thought he was sufficiently recovered from his wound, so jealously sensitive was he on the subject of officers being absent from their posts, so many cases of which have amounted to absolute shirking, he determined to rejoin his regiment. He did so, and was in the advance at the crossing of the Rappahannock, December 11th. On that day the Lieut. Colonel was wounded, and the Colonel (Zook) being in command of the Brigade, the charge of the Regiment devolved upon Major Throop, who had in the meantime received this promotion for his conduct at Antietam.
     In the terrible contest of Fredericksburg on the 13th, Major Throop was wounded by a minnie ball, which passed into his leg, just above the knee, and imbedded itself in the bone. While being carried from the field, a shell burst near him, which killed two of his bearers, and wounded him again in two places in the arm. At the evacuation of Fredericksburg, he was taken across the river with the rest of the wounded, and from thence to the officers' Hospital, at Georgetown Seminary. It was long supposed that both life and limb might be saved. After much difficulty the ball was found and extracted Dec. 27th. January 2d symptoms of pyemia set in. His brother, Montgomery, reached him on the 3d, and was the first to announce to him that he could not live.—His reply was worthy of a true soldier of the Duke of Wellington school. After a short pause of unutterable thoughts, he turned to his brother and said, "Well, do not my friends think that I have done my duty? My regiment was the last on the field." It was not a question of living or lying chiefly, it was whether the duty had been done. These words convey the whole secret of his career and his ambition as connected with the Army. During those weary days of pain and suffering, he spoke with most affectionate remembrance of other days here—and that intercourse of christian friendship which so often inspired the better and nobler promptings of his heart and mind, but which the actualities of life are so continually keeping down. His prayer book was faithfully used in his sick room, and on Sunday, Jan. 4th, he received the Holy Communion at the hands of Dr. Hall, of Washington, in company with Dr. J. N. Merriam, the Assistant Surgeon, and a nurse from Dr. Passevent's Institution of the Sisters of Mercy at Pittsburgh. His mother arrived on the Thursday following, and his spirit took its flight on the morning of Monday the 12th.
     His funeral was attended at Grace Church, in this city, on the 16th. The Burial Anthem was chanted by the choir, the lesson was read by the Rev. Dr. Gibson, of St. George's Church, the Hymn given out by the Rev. Mr. Goodrich, of Calvary Church, the discourse preached by the Rev. Mr. Brandegee, of Grace Church, and the concluding prayers said by the Rev. Mr. Leffingwell, of Palmyra, The military of the city and a large concourse of people attended the solemn services. Not withstanding the calamities of this horrible strife, we may bless God for all the instances of true heroism it has brought out, which show that even in these degenerate days, there are many, many men who are capable of the nobler motive of doing their duty.