The Caboose - Random ramblings about my "TT-
As this page was getting a bit long it has been split into pages by years.
| January 1, 2012
Happy New Year!
Started work on three new 24" wide corner modules. Hope to have these ready to use at Western
Rails in March. May not be scenically finished but they will be useable.
I am using a new base for these modules. A painting panel. These are thin (1/8") birch plywood
with a «" or 2" frame underneath. Here is one with a standard straight module on top for size
I have discovered that these are a nominal 24" square, maybe less 1/8" and are nominally square.
Here are the three I am working on now. On two then I have put a 1" foam layer on top. These
may not have feet as they are close to 2 3/4" high. On the third one I am laying the track on the
The first corner I am working on is the wood topped corner. It will have three lines of track on it.
I am hoping to have a station in the corner if I can find a suitable station model that could stand
in for both North American and European use. If this corner is used with both my siding modules
then the third line will be a passing siding. If only used with one siding module then it will be a
station spur, otherwise it will be a display track for a static train.
| January 18, 2012
TT-Tracks is one year old today. When I find the birthday candles I will take a picture.
In our first year we had one successful display.
In our second year we hope to have at least two displays.
| January 23, 2012
The three new two foot corners have track laid on them and are nominally square.
One problem in building these new corners is that I have discovered an issue with the standards
as written and what I am actually building. The standards say a 86 mm set back from the front to
the centreline of the front main line. Measuring my current modules I discovered that I have built
closer to 95mm. Unfortunately I built the new corners to the written specification. There are a
few alignment issues.
This picture shows the front of the modules.
This picture shows how much the alignment is out when the four corners are set up together.
The test setup with one straight section between the corners shows that the alignment issue can
be overcome with enough straight sections between the ends. I think that I will make one adaptor
module to over come this issue.
To resolve this issue with future construction I will amend the standards to make the 95mm
setback the standard.
| February 12 and 13, 2012
New Two-Foot Corner progress
The weather was nice enough this weekend to do some work outside. Started on the basic
scenery for the front right corner. Have the ballast down and the basic grass coat. The outside
section needs brush and trees. I will leave the inside clear for now.
I have been experimenting with Noch and Busch scenic products. The RH crossover module,
which to be confusing is the left hand module of the pair of crossover modules, now has a
plowed field in the back instead of plain grass. I need to add a fence along the front. Not sure if I
will repeat my wire fence or make a wood fence. I may keep the wire and post fence for the front
of the modules as it can be better viewed there.